Recipe by grandma2969
This is a tart and citrusy pie..it is sort of like a chess pie, though not quite as dense.You will need pastry for 2 9" pies plus the 2 egg yolks are in addition to 6 large eggs..
- 6 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (5-6 lemons)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice (1 large orange)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- speck salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425*.
- Roll out the pastry and line 2 9" pie pans.Prick the pie shells all over with a fork.
- Bake for 3 minutes.
- Prick again and pat the pastry up the sides of the pan with the back of a fork if it is slipping.
- .bake 2 minutes longer, then remove from the oven to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Slowly beat together the eggs, lemon juice, orange juice, sugar, cream, vanilla and lemon zest and salt until the mixture is combined but no bubbles or froth has formed.
- Pour the mixture into the baked shells and bake 30-35 minutes, or until the filling is deep golden on top.
- cool thoroughly on a rack before serving.