Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My whole family loves this recipe, even my husbands family loves it! This came from an Amish family in Indiana.
- 177.44 ml white sugar
- 0.59 ml salt
- 473.18 ml half-and-half cream
- 118.29 ml whipping cream
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 118.29 ml margarine or 118.29 ml real butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- In sauce pan combine, white sugar, salt, half-and-half and whipping cream.
- Bring to a boil.
- In another sauce pan, combine Br.sugar & cornstarch.
- Gradually whisk in hot mixture into br.sugar mixture.
- Add margarine/or butter (to me this makes it even better.).
- Cook over med. heat, whisk constantly, 5 min or until thick.
- Simmer 1 minute and stir in van.
- Pour into uncooked pie shell and sprinkle w/cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.
- I recommend recipe #126072 for this pie.
I had no idea if this would turn out or not, as 25 minutes seemed like a very short bake time. I ended up leaving the pies (doubled the recipe) in for a total of 45 minutes or maybe a tad longer, but the pies themselves still looked quite runny. Other sugar cream pie recipes called for much longer baking times, sometimes starting out at 425 and then cutting back to 350 for another 45 minutes - But I figured this one got good reviews from 13 people so I'd try it out. SO, after 45+ minutes of baking the pie was still super runny/ jiggly but I took it out and counted on the cool down process to set them up. By 3-4 hours they really had set nicely but the real test would be the next day when cutting them - I didn't want any runny pie in the pan - just that good smooth sugar cream texture and it worked perfectly. I was so relieved when my daughter cut into the pie and she said "oh mom it's perfect". Whew! My experience - bake it 45 minutes at 350 or even 375 and have faith in the cool down process. It is a delicious, smooth, creamy pie that many people love. I ended up with many compliments on it - thank you!!
I'm not a very expirienced cook, but this was soo easy and came out fantastic. Like everyone else I had to cook it about 10 min. Longer. And as a side note, it needs to be fully cooled before serving so it can set-up and thicken.
I tried this recipe I followed every step and my pie is a messy disappointment the filling is not firm at all won't use this recipe again I don't understand why it didn't turn out!!!!