Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My whole family loves this recipe, even my husbands family loves it! This came from an Amish family in Indiana.
- In sauce pan combine, white sugar, salt, half-and-half and whipping cream.
- Bring to a boil.
- In another sauce pan, combine Br.sugar & cornstarch.
- Gradually whisk in hot mixture into br.sugar mixture.
- Add margarine/or butter (to me this makes it even better.).
- Cook over med. heat, whisk constantly, 5 min or until thick.
- Simmer 1 minute and stir in van.
- Pour into uncooked pie shell and sprinkle w/cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.
- I recommend recipe #126072 for this pie.
Just made this and it is delicious. It set-up nicely but I did have to cook it longer than indicated in the recipe. I started with an extra ten minutes but then kicked the temp down a bit and added another ten minutes. I think part of the reason for the longer cook time was that my crust wasn't as brown and flaky as I like it but that was a factor of the crust recipe I used. Thanks to Chef Assig for posting this and for everyone's reviews.
The oven temp and/or cook time need adjustment. Cook time is closer to 40 min.A 400 degree oven might be better.
I'd never had a Sugar Cream Pie before, but was intrigued by the simplicity of the ingredients and all the positive reviews. It is truly one of a kind. Creamy, densely custardy, and not too sweet with just a hint of spice. Lovely pie.