Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 lbs white bread, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (good quality)
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, Poached
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, Minced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, Chopped
- 1 cup celery, Chopped
- 1 cup carrot, Shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups potatoes, boiled, fine-chopped
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric
- 5 eggs
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups homemade chicken broth or 2 1⁄2 cups canned broth
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- On 2 cookie sheets, toast the bread cubes for 15 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown.
- Transfer to a very large mixer bowl.
- Bone the chicken and very finely chop the meat, discarding the skin. (I do this in the food processor while chicken is still warm.)
- Add the chopped vegetables and chicken meat to the bread, along with the seasonings. Toss.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs;add the evaporated milk and broth.
- Pour over the bread mixture and blend.
- The mixture will be quite moist. Allow to stand 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Transfer the dressing to an oiled 3 quart glass casserole that is 10 inches in diameter and 3 inches deep (at this point, dressing can be frozen for future use; thaw before baking.)
- Bake dressing for 2 hours, or until the center of the