1/6 Photos of Amish Soft Honey Whole Wheat Bread
3 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I've been looking for a soft all whole wheat bread, and I finally found it! This is in an Amish cookbook that I have, and I am writing it as it is written. I mix it with my KitchenAid. :) This is our sandwich bread that we have all the time on hand and the recipe can easily be cut into 1/3 to make just one loaf. :) 10/8/07 Corrections made to make bigger loaves. I usually use How to Rise Yeast Dough in a Cool or Drafty Kitchen to have a great rise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix water with yeast and sugar and let sit until foamy (about 10 minutes). In the meanwhile, put the 3 eggs (in the shell) in a bowl of hot water (to bring the eggs to room temperature).
- 2Put flour, salt, and gluten in bowl.
- 3Pour in yeast mixture and stir until combined. Add in honey, eggs, and crisco until combined, scraping sides. (I usually use an egg beater for this).
- 4Add more wheat flour and knead until smooth.
- 5Let set in warm place for about an hour until double in size.
- 6Divide into 3 loaves. Let rise again in warm place until doubled (about 1-1/2 hours).
- 7Bake as regular bread (I bake about 35 minutes at 375 or until the interior of the bread is 190 degrees using electric thermometer if you have one).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amish Soft Honey Whole Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.4
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 9.3 mg
- Sodium 237.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 3.3 g