Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Do you love old fashioned pies ,you know,the kind people have almost forgotten about because they don't come ready in the frozen food section?Do you love dark,gooey super sweet deserts?Do you love molasses?Do you eat it by the spoonful?(So maybe you don't eat it by the spoonful..that's just me)If you do this is the ULTIMATE pie.There's nothing to get in the way of all that dark,delicious,molassesey goodness.Serve with a big cup of hot,strong coffee.If you don't LOVE molasses,don't even try this-you've been warned.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses, unsulphered
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 prepared pie crust, unbaked
- Preheat oven to 350 f.
- Mix together the flour,sugar,and butter into crumbs.Set aside.
- Beat egg well;mix with molasses and baking soda.
- Add boiling water to the molasses mixture and stir well to combine.
- Add 1/2 of the crumbs to the liquid ingredients and mix;pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell.
- Top with the remaining crumbs.
- Bake for 11 minutes,reduce oven temperature to 350 f,and bake for 30 more minutes until somewhat firm.The pie should firm up as it cools,but it should not be liquid when you take it out of the oven.
- Let cool completely before serving.