- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Add baking soda to boiling water; then add molasses and set mixture aside.
- Make a crumb mixture from flour, brown sugar and margarine, and reserve 1 cup of this aside.
- Mix together the remaining crumb mixture, liquid mixture and applesauce.
- Pour (batter is thin) into cupcake pan lined with cupcake papers, and sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on top of each cupcake.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.