Top Review by Megan Potts
I dont understand all of the high marks on this recipe. I, too, searched the world over for the perfect pot roast recipe and found it a few years ago. (http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooker-short-ribs, works marvelously on pot roast, too). I love Amish cooking, so when I saw this recipe a few days ago I ran right out to buy beef. This is not for me. Good Luck. SMH.
- 3 lbs swiss steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup coffee
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 onions, sliced
- to taste coffee, as needed
- to taste soy sauce, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Do not pound or flour the meat. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat, then sear meat on both sides.
- Meanwhile, in a large roasting pan, combine soy sauce, coffee, bay leaves, garlic, oregano and one of the sliced onions.
- Transfer the browned meat to the roasting pan.
- Top with the second sliced onion.
- Cover and bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, basting every hour with pan juices.
- If the liquid begins to boil away, add another cup of coffee and a splash of soy sauce. You may need to repeat this procedure; there should be quite a bit of liquid.
- Cut the meat in thin slices and serve with pan juices.