Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an easy recipe that my grandmother used to serve in the spring. My brother still refers to this dish as "Easter eggs". Slices of onion or hot pepper may also be added to the pickling liquid with the beets and eggs.
- 236.59 ml cider vinegar
- 236.59 ml beet juice (add water, if necessary, to make 1 cup)
- 118.29 ml brown sugar (packed)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, shelled
- 425.24 g cansmall round beets
- Boil first four ingredients gently for 5 minutes.
- Cool the liquid then pour over eggs and beets, cover and let stand overnight (or up to three days) in the refrigerator.
- To serve, cut eggs in half or quarters.
Add some sliced onions to this! Will try hot pepper next time.
What a winner! Hubby added pickling spice and some cinnamon like JGill, and the eggs and beets were FAB! Ate beets and egg wedges with a healthy tuna salad. Wonderful as a snack too. Thinking we need to make a bunch for backyard bbq's in the summer. Thanks for sharing, very addictive!
Great basic recipe - we've used this a few times. I make it with beets only as I am not fond of pickled eggs. And since we like a little more spice, so I add a few whole cloves, and broken cinnamon stick and a few whole allspice as the liquids cook. Easy to customize.