Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
A nice side dish. I love thise with the sweet onions (1015, Vidalia, Maui Sweets).
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- Mix together the dry ingredients, then add the milk.
- This should make a fairly thick batter.
- Add the onions and mix thoroughly.
- Drop the batter by spoonsful into hot deep fat.
- When golden on one side (about 3-4 minutes), turn them and flatten them into patties.
- Fry until golden on the second side (about 3-4 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels.
Made these to go with seafood for the super bowl and they were a hit! I had to triple the recipe. I reccomend everyone try these, they would be good with beans or chili.....just about anything.
I was just going to post this recipe when I found yours. These are fabulous, I have been making them for years and everyone loves them
now these great! even my husband and my kids who are not big onion fans loved them. great recipe! thanks so much for sharing!!