Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a nice breakfast alternative to regular oatmeal. It is versatile and tasty. I eat mine with milk like cereal. Others like to top it with brown sugar or fruit. I got this recipe from my boyfriend's mom about a year ago and have been busy making and eating it and forgetting to post it ever since. I did reduce the sugar and change it to brown sugar. We love the results!
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter (melted) or 1⁄4 cup margarine (melted)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Spread evenly into 13x9x2 greased baking pan. (An 8 in square pan would work well, as it bakes very thin.).
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown. (Be sure to check it early, just in case.).
- Serve warm.
My husband ate this of his own accord. He asked for seconds. My jaw hit the floor. Good Job, PaNik. Good Job.
I have been making a very similar recipe for years. I got it at an amish bed and breakfast. I sometimes put dried cherries or cranberries in the mix as well, but leave out the butter. Makes a delicious and healthy hot breakfast.