Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
My favorite kind of filling at Thanksgiving or any time for that matter. Makes 2 casseroles or one 1 9x13" pan
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups bread, cubes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups potatoes, mashed
- Melt butter.
- Add celery and onion.
- Cook until tender.
- Pour over bread cubes and mix well.
- Combine saffron and boiling water.
- Add to bread and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients to bread, mixing well after each addition.
- Finished product should be very moist.
- Add more milk if necessary.
- Turn into 2 well greased casserole dishes.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Note: I use one 9x13 pan instead of two smaller casseroles.
We make this in our home. It is so good. It is one of our favorites. We often fry ours in a pan rather than bake it tho.