I really love Amish Macaroni Salad, and this is my favorite recipe for it. Amish Macaroni Salad is somewhat on the sweet side, so if you don't mind your salads sweet, I think you'll like it too. It's even better the next day, so if you can, let it sit overnight. I got the recipe from a Berk's County website a while back. NOTE: It does make a lot of salad, so if you wanted a smaller amount, it halves easily. Just use the 3 eggs chopped up and just garnish with paprika. Time does not including cooking the macaroni.
- 1 lb macaroni (or small shells)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion (more if desired)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper (optional, see note at end)
- 6 hard-boiled eggs (reserve 1 to slice for garnish, and chop the remaining 5)
- paprika, for garnish
- 2 cups Miracle Whip
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- Cook macaroni as directed on package; Drain& cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients so they are well-combined and smooth.
- In a large bowl, gently combine the macaroni, celery, carrots, onions, and remaining eggs.
- Fold the dressing gently into the macaroni salad mixture.
- Place into your serving bowl and garnish with the reserved slice egg and paprika.
- Let sit overnight for the best results.
- NOTE: It was not in the original recipe, but I sometimes add 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped green pepper if I have it around.