Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
The Amish community sure makes great white bread ! I have not included prep time here, only bake time.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups hot water
- 3⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 7 cups flour, approximately
- Mix sugar, salt and 2 cups hot water in a large bowl.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water in small bowl.
- After yeast is dissolved, add to cooled water and sugar mixture.
- Add 3 cups flour and mix well.
- Let set 30 minutes.
- Knead in 3 1/2 to 4 cups flour until smooth and pliable.
- Grease bowl and dough and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Shape into 2 loaves and let rise.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.