Recipe by Husker Jane
Based on a prize winner from Newman's The Hole in the Wall Gang Cookbook. This is a big hit with large groups of teenagers. Since it's "build your own haystack" there's something for everyone. Serve with dinner rolls for the unadventurous who would rather have a sloppy joe and salad. I also serve with bottled Italian salad dressing for those who want a "wetter" haystack.
- 907.18 g lean ground beef
- 35.43 g package taco seasoning mix
- 396.89 g jar spaghetti sauce
- 473.18 ml saltines, crushed
- 473.18-709.77 ml tortilla chips, crushed
- 473.18 ml cooked rice
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped fine
- 473.18 ml tomatoes, diced
- 236.59 ml carrot, chopped
- 236.59 ml green onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml sliced ripe olives
- 236.59 ml red pepper, diced
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 354.88 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 236.59 ml cooked bacon, crumbled
- 236.59 ml sunflower seeds
- 311.84 g jar salsa
- Italian salad dressing (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef with the taco seasoning in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and simmer until the meat is cooked through and the liquid evaporates.
- Don't crush the saltines or tortilla chips too finely.
- Place all ingredients in individual serving bowls.
- Each person can make their own "haystack". The traditional order for layering is lettuce, crushed crackers and chips, meat mixture, rice, each of the veggies, cheese, bacon, sunflower seeds, and salsa (plus Italian dressing if added).