Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
These little pies were taken to the church for the children to eat so they would be quiet. They would be great for picnics, potlucks, breakfast, or for visiting grandkids. They freeze well.
- 2 cups dried apples
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 orange, juice and grated rind
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 double crust pie pastry
- Cook the dried apples in a saucepan with water and the salt.
- When apples are soft and pulpy, add the sugar, orange and cinnamon.
- Simmer until water is cooked away.
- Roll pastry out and cut in 8 inch circles.
- Place generous portions of the mixture on half of the pastry rounds; fold the pastry over and pinch the edges tightly together.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake about 35 to 40 minutes longer or until golden brown.