A little less sweet--a little more spicy! My Christmas use for Amish Friendship Bread starter! You can add a quarter to half cup of sugar with the dry ingredients if you have a sweet tooth, but I really prefer it with just the molasses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup amish starter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce (I use natural unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup milk or 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (4 ounce) box instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1/4-1/2 cup candied orange peel (optional)
- 1/4 cup fairly thin cream cheese frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Combine wet ingredients: starter, egg, oil, applesauce, milk or cream, vanilla, and molasses. Stir well.
- 3Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, and pudding mix in a separate bowl. Whisk until well-combined.
- 4Add dry mix gradually to wet mix, and stir until barely combined. Stir in candied peel if using.
- 5Spread in greased loaf pan.
- 6Bake (at 325 degrees) approximately one hour. Check it at fifty minutes to determine baking time for your oven!
- 7Remove from oven and cool on a rack. When BARELY warm to the touch, spread cream cheese frosting over top of loaf. I like runny, glazey, drippy frosting--if you like it thicker, you'll need more frosting and a light hand to keep from tearing pieces off the top of this tender loaf!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amish Friendship Gingerbread
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.3
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 260.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant butterscotch pudding mix