Recipe by AlaskaStephanie
A little less sweet--a little more spicy! My Christmas use for Amish Friendship Bread starter! You can add a quarter to half cup of sugar with the dry ingredients if you have a sweet tooth, but I really prefer it with just the molasses.
- 1⁄2 cup amish starter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce (I use natural unsweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (4 ounce) box instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup candied orange peel (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup fairly thin cream cheese frosting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine wet ingredients: starter, egg, oil, applesauce, milk or cream, vanilla, and molasses. Stir well.
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, and pudding mix in a separate bowl. Whisk until well-combined.
- Add dry mix gradually to wet mix, and stir until barely combined. Stir in candied peel if using.
- Spread in greased loaf pan.
- Bake (at 325 degrees) approximately one hour. Check it at fifty minutes to determine baking time for your oven!
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack. When BARELY warm to the touch, spread cream cheese frosting over top of loaf. I like runny, glazey, drippy frosting--if you like it thicker, you'll need more frosting and a light hand to keep from tearing pieces off the top of this tender loaf!