Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
this is another recipe I found on allrecipes.com by Kathy. sounds good.
Make and share this Amish Friendship Chocolate Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup amish starter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate pudding. Make a well in the center of this mixture. Add Amish friendship bread starter, vegetable oil, milk, eggs and vanilla extract; mix well. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans. 2-9' loaf pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean, about 60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
I haven't made frienship bread in years and years, then someone gave me a starter a couple of weeks ago. I made this as directed, only I used two small boxes of pudding mix since I didn't have one large one. I baked it 50 minutes and that was probably 5 minutes too long for my oven. The loaves turned out beautifully, and to my surprise were not overly sweet as I had remembered friendship bread being from the last time I made it years ago. Very good with a cup of coffee. This is good as is, though if I make this again I think I may try adding some chocolate chips and maybe a little cinnamon just for variety. Thanks for a great recipe!
Took a bit of time for me to find & make the recipe for the 'amish starter' ~ Found a good one right here on Zaar, thanks to chef #37036 & made these two loaves in no time! Made for very tasty, mildy-chocolate, slightly sweet loaves, one of which my son & his wife very willingly took home with them to enjoy! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted orphan chefs at the end of this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]