Cook1 hr 10 mins
Many recipes have been posted for the Amish bread, but none have included the starter, so I thought I'd send this along. Happy baking! Amish Friendship Bread and Starter
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, combined with
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Place ONE cup each sugar, milk, and flour in large glass or plastic bowl.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and set on your counter at room temperature. Stir with a wooden spoon everyday for 17 days.
- On day 18 do nothing.
- On days 19, 20, and 21, stir.
- On day 22, add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup flour, and stir again.
- On days 23, 24, 25, and 26 stir.
- On day 27, add 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup sugar and stir.
- It's now ready to use to make the bread.
- Give away two cups of the starter to two friends, use one to make the bread, and keep one to keep the starter going. When you give away a cup of the starter, give these directions for keeping it going: Do not refrigerate; Do not use metal spoon or metal bowl; Do not cover tightly, cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD: Mix oil, eggs, and vanilla with the starter mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, vanilla pudding mix, and nuts.
- Add to liquid mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Pour into two large well-greased 9x5 inch loaf pans, or one Bundt pan, that have been sprinkled with a mixture of cinnamon, sugar, and flour.
- Sprinkle more cinnamon and sugar on the tops of the unbaked loaves (or cake). Bake at 325F for one hour or until done.
I use applesauce instead of the oil and it is not only delicious, but less fattening.
Thanks so much for posting this recipe. It was the exact recipe I was looking for! I also bake it in a 9X13 pan and then it isn't so thick and doesn't take as long to cook. You can also freeze the starters for up to a month!
Took about 70 minutes to bake.