Recipe by WI Cheesehead
You need a cup of live yeast starter for this. There are good sourdough starter recipes on Zaar. Important Note: Don't use metal spoons or equipment. Do not refrigerate. Use only glazed ceramic or plastic bowls or containers. For more variations to the original bread recipe, see www.armchair.com/recipe/amish/amshvar2.html or www.armchair.com/recipe/amish/amishvar.html
Top Review by :)Shirl(:
This is delicious sweet bread :) I made two loaf pans, kept one and took one to work with the starters. I didn't even make it to the staff lounge and the 3 starters I took were adopted out. I call this Herman, my directions are play with and feed instead of stir. I also adopt Herman out to other homes that want to bake and share. My directions for the starter are different, but I did follow the directions for making and baking, which turned out a lovely, tastey treat. I have found that you can freeze the starter and on the second day of defrosting would be day one. You also can cut down on feeding so long as the parts are equal. This will save from having sooo many Herman's to adopt out :) on day 6: I feed 1/2 cup of the flour, milk and sugar and then 1/2 cup each on day 10. This cuts back on orpan Herman's, but makes enough to bake and save :) Thank you for posting a delicious recipe that I will fix again.
For the starter
- 1 cup amish starter or 1 cup sourdough starter
- 3 cups flour (divided)
- 3 cups sugar (divided)
- 3 cups milk (divided)
For the Last Day of the Starter
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
To Make 2 Loaves of Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Day 1: Do nothing with the starter.
- Days 2-5: Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Day 6: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Days 7-9: Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Day 10: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir. Take out 3 cups and place 1 cup each into three separate plastic containers. Give one cup and a copy of this recipe to three friends.
- To the balance (a little over one cup) of the batter, add the ingredients from "For the Last Day of the Starter" and mix well.
- Mix the ingredients "To Make 2 Loaves of Bread" and add to wet ingredients.
- Mix and pour into two well greased and sugared bread pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.