1/1 Photo of Amish Friendship Bread
WI Cheesehead's Note:
You need a cup of live yeast starter for this. There are good sourdough starter recipes on Zaar. Important Note: Don't use metal spoons or equipment. Do not refrigerate. Use only glazed ceramic or plastic bowls or containers. For more variations to the original bread recipe, see www.armchair.com/recipe/amish/amshvar2.html or www.armchair.com/recipe/amish/amishvar.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the starter
- 1 cup amish starter or 1 cup sourdough starter
- 3 cups flour (divided)
- 3 cups sugar (divided)
- 3 cups milk (divided)
For the Last Day of the Starter
To Make 2 Loaves of Bread
- 1Day 1: Do nothing with the starter.
- 2Days 2-5: Stir with a wooden spoon.
- 3Day 6: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- 4Days 7-9: Stir with a wooden spoon.
- 5Day 10: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir. Take out 3 cups and place 1 cup each into three separate plastic containers. Give one cup and a copy of this recipe to three friends.
- 6To the balance (a little over one cup) of the batter, add the ingredients from "For the Last Day of the Starter" and mix well.
- 7Mix the ingredients "To Make 2 Loaves of Bread" and add to wet ingredients.
- 8Mix and pour into two well greased and sugared bread pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amish Friendship Bread
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.5
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 298.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 47.1 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: