Recipe by BeckyF
To make sure the greens are wilted before eating(covering the greens with a hot dressing only partially accomplishes this), drop them into a pot of boiling water. Let tand for 5 - 10 minutes. Then drain leaves, pouring off juice.
Top Review by MyHusbandCooks
I can't believe this recipe has no ratings! I grew up with this at the holidays, but have never made it myself...so I needed a recipe, and had a hard time finding this one. It's so delicious!! (I used frozen spinach, thawed and well drained)
- 1 quart endive or 1 quart spinach
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
Hot Bacon Dressing
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Salad: Wash carefully, Endive or spinach leaves, then chop or tear into 1 inch long pieces.
- Top with sliced eggs.
- Cover with hot bacon dressing and serve.
- Hot Bacon Salad Dressing: Brown bacon; remove from drippings and crumble.
- Combine sugar and flour.
- Add egg, salt, vinegar and water and mix until smooth.
- Pour into bacon drippings and heat stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Add crumbled bacon.