1/2 Photos of Amish Creamy Coleslaw With Boiled Dressing
Like the title says, this is an awesome Amish recipe..We had this at a salad bar in Ohio and begged for the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cream or 3 tablespoons milk
- 6 cups shredded cabbage (about 1 3/4 lbs)
- 1 large shredded carrot, about (3/4 cup)
- 1 celery, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1In small saucepan, beat the eggs thoroughly; add the sugar, flour, salt and mustard.
- 2Combine the vinegar and the water and beat into the egg mixture, then add the butter or oil.
- 3Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick, about 5-8 minutes. The mixture will be very lumpy looking (not to worry) beat it to smoothness.
- 4When very thick, remove from heat and beat in cream or milk. Cool.
- 5this can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.
- 6In a large bowl, combine all of the coleslaw ingredients.
- 7Add the cooled dressing and toss lightly to coat with the dressing.
Browse Our Top Amish/Mennonite Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Amish/Mennonite Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amish Creamy Coleslaw With Boiled Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.0
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 100.7 mg
- Sodium 664.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 5.0 g