Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I found this recipe in an Amish cookbook I borrowed from my mom. I haven't made this yet but plan to sounds yummy! This is supposed to be baked in the oven but I will use my slow cooker.
- 907.18 g beef stew meat
- 3-4 potatoes, diced
- 3-4 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 793.78 g can tomatoes, diced (undrained)
- 59.14 ml water
- 73.94 ml minute tapioca
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml dried marjoram
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh parsley
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker, except parsley.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, without stirring.
- Add parsley just before serving.
- This can be made in the oven:.
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Combine all ingredients in a roasting pan, except parsley.
- Bake covered without stirring for 5 hours.
- Add parsley. Enjoy!
This is by far our favorite recipe for stew. I have been making it for 16 years now. It is from the cook book called Cooking from Quilt Country, with contains all Amish recipes. I tried a new recipe I found on RecipeZaar, for stew last night, just for a change. No way did it compare to this recipe. I will stick to this one.