Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I found this recipe in an Amish cookbook I borrowed from my mom. I haven't made this yet but plan to sounds yummy! This is supposed to be baked in the oven but I will use my slow cooker.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 -4 potatoes, diced
- 3 -4 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (undrained)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 5 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker, except parsley.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, without stirring.
- Add parsley just before serving.
- This can be made in the oven:.
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Combine all ingredients in a roasting pan, except parsley.
- Bake covered without stirring for 5 hours.
- Add parsley. Enjoy!
This is by far our favorite recipe for stew. I have been making it for 16 years now. It is from the cook book called Cooking from Quilt Country, with contains all Amish recipes. I tried a new recipe I found on RecipeZaar, for stew last night, just for a change. No way did it compare to this recipe. I will stick to this one.