Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Corn Bread is often thought of as a "southern creation” and maybe it is. But one would be surprised at how well the Amish have co-opted the dish and made it a favorite of their own. Homemade corn bread is a favorite in many Amish kitchens.
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons shortening, melted and cooled
- Sift the first four ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix in the corn meal.
- Blend the egg, milk, and shortening together until mixed.
- Add to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Turn the mixture into a greased (bottom only) 8X8X2 inch pan.
- Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes.
This was easy to make and just wonderful! I loved the taste and the texture.