Recipe by snowangel
This recipe is from The Best of Amish Cooking, a cookbook that my very kind swap partner sent to me. It is moist, sweet and absolutely delicious!!
Top Review by goofanella
Great from-scratch recipe! We love make up the dry mixes so we can have them whenever we get hungry for them. We even made up a mix so we could have them when we went on vacation. My kids especially love these. What a quick thing to add some extra love to a meal. THank you.
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease 8' square pan.
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Mix liquid ingredients together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, then add liquid all at once.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Note: I recommend using buttermilk, I have found the flavour and texture to be better than when using milk.