Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Found posted on allrecipes.com by Christina J. I've been told this is the closest copycat recipe for Primanti Bro's cole slaw. Fingers crossed. I plan on making it today for a BBQ. Cooking time includes minimum refrigeration time. It was recommended that slaw be refrigerated overnight and served with a slotted spoon to drain excess dressing.
- 2 (16 ounce) bags cabbage coleslaw blend
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, onion, and 3/4 cup sugar.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, salt, celery seed, 1 teaspoon white sugar, mustard and oil.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Cool completely, then pour over cabbage mixture.
- Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate 8-24 hours for best flavor.
- Toss again prior to serving.
Excellent recipe! I followed the directions exactly as provided and was very pleased with the result. McGelby, thank you for posting a vinegar-based slaw for those of us not particulary fond of mayo-based!
We all loved this coleslaw, especially my daughter who cannot have soy...so no mayo for her :( We added sunflower seeds and it's even more yummy!
This was delicious. I used fresh cabbage which I grated and 1 grated carrot, other than that I follow the recipe. Next time I will not use the mustard. It gave a yellow tint to the cabbage the next day. i will be making this again. Everyone loved it, even with the yellow tint. Thanks for sharing.