Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple and rustic coffee cake from the Amish.
Make and share this Amish Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix the sugar, flour and shortening until lumpy.
- Do not mix until creamy.
- Reserve 1 cup to use as topping.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the hot coffee and add to the flour mixture.
- Add the egg and vanilla.
- Spread in a 9"x12"x2" pan (please note that this is a thin batter) and sprinkle on the reserved topping.
- Bake at 325°F degrees for approximately 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
So glad to find this one here on Zaar! The cook at my children's school makes this every year for the lunch served for "Grandparents' Day". It is a simple and mild coffee cake that always pleases and my kids love it! Thanks Mercy :)