1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is really delicious, one of my favorite crock pot recipes that can as easily be made as a casserole and baked in the oven. It lends itself easily to your favorite variations. I did not include boiling the chicken in the time since that is an option, and you can use already prepared cooked chicken, and I listed the time for oven baking, not the crock pot version. You can either cook a whole chicken in water with your favorite seasonings to make the broth, or use cooked chicken use canned broth. Works well either way. I've had it a long time and can't remember the source.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf pan cornbread, crumbled (8x8-inch)
- 6 slices bread, crumbled
- 1/4 lb Ritz crackers or 1/4 lb saltine crackers, crumbled
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons bell seasoning (or other chicken seasoning with a thyme and sage type mixture)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth (or broth made from a whole chicken, approximate measure, see recipe)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 -4 cups diced cooked chicken (or the meat from one whole chicken, about 4 to 4 1/2 lbs, cooked with water and seasonings to make)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1If you're using a whole chicken cook the chicken for an hour in water to cover seasoned with your favorite seasonings; remove chicken from the broth and retain both; allow to cool and remove the chicken from the bones and dice.
- 2Put the cornbread, bread, and crackers in a large bowl.
- 3Saute the onions and celery in the butter.
- 4Pour this into the bread& cracker crumbs, add the seasoning and mix well.
- 5Pour enough broth into the mixture to just moisten.
- 6Add the eggs, milk and enough broth to make a very slushy mixture.
- 7Add the chicken (and dried cranberries if using) and mix well.
- 8Pack this tightly into a crock pot or baking dish large enough to hold the mixture.
- 9For the crock pot: Cover and cook on high for 4 hours; reduce heat to low and cook 4 to 8 hours longer.
- 10For oven: Cover with lid or tin foil and bake at 350 for an hour; uncover and bake another 15 to 30 minutes until baked through and top is lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amish Chicken & Cornbread Stuffing for the Crock Pot or Oven
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.4
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 177.7 mg
- Sodium 863.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 22.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: