Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delightful way to use cherries..
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 cups pitted tart red cherries
- red food coloring (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cut into 1 " slices
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350*.
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, tapioca and nutmeg.
- Add the almond extract, cherries and red food coloring, if using. and combine thoroughly.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes, then pour into a 9x13 greased baking dish. Make the topping; in a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and butter with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. (This can also be done in a food processor)
- Mix in the chopped pecans and spoon the topping over the cherry mixture, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake the crumble for 1 hour or until it is bubbling and the top is golden.
- Serve slightly warm with heavy cream, whipped cream or ice cream if desired.