Recipe by bshemyshua
I love brown sugar cakes and this is one of the best. From Amish Cooking by Pathway Publishers. Please note that buttermilk or sour milk can be used. Sour milk is made by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in the bottom of a measuring cup then fill the rest of the way with milk. Set aside to sour for 5 minutes.
Top Review by MsLizze
I have never had a brown sugar cake, and I have not had much luck with eggless cakes, but my friend's little girl is allergic to eggs so we are always trying to find eggless desserts for her. Therefore, I thought that I would give this one a try. This cake is incredibly good. I will definitely be making it again.
Here are the changes that I made to it:
I used cake flour, which seems to always produce a better textured cake for me.
I combined the ingredients differently than the directions said to because I used buttermilk powder and water instead of buttermilk. Basically I combined the butter and sugar, then I added the flour, buttermilk powder, and baking soda. Then I added the water and vanilla.
I also accidentally used the whole stick of butter in the topping instead of just six tbsp and I used pecans for the nuts.
I think I will add cinnamon to the topping next time, and I might try macadamia nuts as well.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups sour milk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 6 tablespoons soft butter
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.and grease and flour bottom of 9x13 pan.
- For cake: cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Blend in buttermilk or sour milk and 2 teaspoons of baking soda, there should be some foaming.
- Add 3 cups flour and mix until blended.
- Add vanilla last.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and Bake 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- For topping: blend soft butter, milk, brown sugar and nuts in a small bowl.
- When cake comes out of oven and is still warm, spread with topping mixture and return to oven to bake until bubbly. About 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from oven again and cool.