1/3 Photos of Amish Bread II
I'm posting this slightly different version of Amish White Bread. This is an excellent sandwich bread, kind of like the Wonder bread of home baking. Others have adapted it with wheat, spelt and other flour combinations. It keeps pretty well if you wrap it tightly. You can also adjust the sugar content downward because it's pretty sweet to me but kids tend to love it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Proof the yeast in 3/4 cup warm water and 1/4 cup sugar.
- 2Add the rest of the ingredients once the yeast is lively. (Depending on the moisture of the batter, I don't always need to add the additional 2 tbs. warm water.) Mix well.
- 3Turn the batter out on a floured surface and knead thoroughly, about 10 minutes.
- 4Coat a bowl with oil or butter. Put the dough in the oiled bowl (make sure to coat the top surface of the dough with oil, too) and allow it to rise until it has doubled in bulk.
- 5Punch the dough down and shape into bread pan. Allow it to rise again. The second rise usually only takes about 1 hour.
- 6Bake for 25 - 30 minutes in a 350°F oven.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amish Bread II
Serving Size: 1 (663 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1938.3
- Calories from Fat 522
- Total Fat 58.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1175.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 313.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 50.8 g
- Protein 37.0 g