Got this recipe from a friend.
Make and share this Amish Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Dissolve sugar in warm water in a bowl.
- Add yeast and allow to sit 10 minutes.
- Add oil, salt and flour.
- Mix well.
- Knead well.
- Place in a well oiled bowl, and cover for one hour to one and one half hours.
- Knead down.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Form into 2 loaves
- Place in greased loaf pans.
- Allow to rise, covered, for one hour.
- Bake 350F 30 minutes til golden.
What a simple and delicious bread! I halved the recipe and baked in my mini-loaf pan to make 4 mini-loaves but I think I'll do a regular loaf next time-- so going to be my standby sandwich bread. I used my bread machine-- I let the yeast soak in the sugar water for 10 minutes, then added everything else, then let the bread machine do a dough cycle. Baked for 15 minutes in my convection oven, perfecto. Will definitely make over and over, so simple and tasty! EDIT: I made it again with honey and got 24 rolls out of the mix as listed. So good and I got so many compliments! Though my rolls were harder to shape as the dough was extremely sticky, mine were flatter but delicious no less.
this was awesome!!! thanks so much for a great recipe!!!
The family loved it.