Recipe by Mercy
Sugarless dumplings that derive their sweetness naturally from apple juice and diced apples. Can be served as a side dish with ham or pork or as a light dessert.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup diced apple, peeled and cored
- 4 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup apple juice and cinnamon, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in diced apples.
- Pour all the apple juice into a 4-quart pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Drop diced apple mixture by soup-spoonsful into the boiling juice.
- Cover and let boil 20 minutes.
- Do not remove lid during cooking.
- After 20 minutes, remove the dumplings from the pan; set aside.
- Stir the cornstarch into the remaining apple juice in the pot and cook until thickened.
- Serve the sauce over the dumplings.