Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my Dad's favorite birthday cake. Old, even brown, bananas make a moister cake. This can be made a couple days ahead and covered tightly at room temperature.
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 whole eggs, room temp
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups bananas, mashed
- 2⁄3 cup chopped black walnut
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- For the cake, cream the shortening and sugar together until fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beat after each.
- Blend dry ingredients and add alternately with buttermilk; stir in bananas and walnuts.
- Bake at 350°F in two greased 9 inch cake pans for 35 or 40 minutes.
- Wait 10 minutes to remove from pan.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the brown sugar and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer 2 minutes, stirring; add the milk and bring back to boil, stirring.
- Pour into a mixing bowl and add the salt and vanilla; gradually beat in the powdered sugar until spreading consistency.
- Frost the cake between the layers, top, then sides.