miss gracie's Note:
This is one of our favorite cake recipes, originally published in Cooking from Quilt Country by Marcia Adams. I modified the caramel sauce a bit and increased the amount of the sauce since it is so wonderful! The cake keeps well and can be reheated briefly in the microwave. Extra caramel sauce is divine over ice cream!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped finely
- 2 1/2 cups cooking apples, chopped medium coarse (such as Granny Smith or Northern Sprys)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl, cream the butter.
- 3Add the sugar and beat until fluffy.
- 4Add egg and beat until blended, then mix in the baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- 5Add the flour and stir just until blended.
- 6Stir in the apples and nuts.
- 7Pour into an oiled 9 inch round cake pan (I use a glass pie plate) and bake for 30 minutes or until the top springs back when touched lightly in the center.
- 8Prepare sauce.
- 9In a saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar, and salt.
- 10Bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk, then remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla and the cream.
- 11(The sauce can be made ahead of time and reheated over hot water.) Serve the cake warm with the hot caramel sauce and a dollop of whipped cream.
- 12The cake gets better as it ages, keeps for a week in the refrigerator, and also freezes well.
- 13It can be reheated in the microwave.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amish Apple Cake With Hot Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 722.6
- Calories from Fat 385
- Total Fat 42.8 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 130.0 mg
- Sodium 731.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 69.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g