Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Got Eggs? Hard-boiled? Have I got a recipe for you! Made originally in the Fifties and still good today.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup celery, cut fine
- 1 cup cucumber, cut fine
- 1 small onion, cut fine
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled, cut fine
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 ounces lemon Jell-O gelatin
- Mix celery, cucumber and onion together and salt to taste.
- Dissolve 1 package lemon Jello in 1 cup boiling water.
- Mix cream cheese and mayo together and add other ingredients. Add Jello last when cool.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Cooking time is setting time.
Made this today because it sounded refreshing and I had all the ingredients in the house. The only change I made was to add a tablespoon of lemon juice. There are enough eggs in this so that the whole thing tastes like egg salad. A crunchy, softly creamy egg salad but egg salad nonetheless. So I had to think of what to do with it. I wound up eating a bowl full with a lot of artisan tortilla chips crumbled into it, and that was good. I think it would also be nice in cups of crisp lettuce, or spread on whole grain toast. I think it is a little too soft to use as sandwich filling.