Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
From "The Olive Branch" June 2008 Issue. (By Mr. Greek restaurants) "Recipe courtesy of Maria Georgopoulos"
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine eggs, 2 cups of sugar and almond extract and mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in the ground almonds. The mixture will be quite moist and sticky.
- Shape into round balls (1 1/2” in diameter).
- Place the remaining cup of sugar on a separate plate and roll the balls in the sugar.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper and place cookies on the baking tray.
- Place one whole almond on top of cookie and press gently.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 275 degrees F.
- Allow to cool and place in an airtight container as the cookies should remain chewy and not dry and crunchy.
Warning!!!!<br/><br/>Could be great with better instructions and the correct cooking temperature. Wrecked first tray by following instructions to cook at 275 for 12 minutes. Saved second batch be raising to 350 degrees and cooking for 15 minutes.<br/><br/>Also instructions should emphasize finely ground almonds. Maybe you could then roll in sugar. I adapted recipe to use teaspoon to put cookies on tray, sprinkled lightly with sugar, and then put a maraschino cherry on top. <br/><br/>The second batch looks great and tastes great!