Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
This recipe is common to the Ethiopian Jews (Phalashi). My understanding is that these are NOT unique to them alone. prep time includes lentil soaking
Top Review by bethlane
This is a very simple and delicious recipe. I used 3 fresh tomatoes instead of tomato paste and vegetable broth instead of water. It doesn't use any fancy ingredients and it is yummy and quick!
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 2 large onions
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort the lentils picking out ant grit or stones and soak in tap water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse in running water and drain.
- Peel and finely chop the onions. peel and mash the garlic.
- Heat the oil in large pan and saute the onion until golden. Add tomato paste and paprika and mix. Add half the water and the garlic,ginger pepper and salt.
- Stir well and then add the rest of the water, stir again, cover and bring to boil.
- When the water boil, add the lentils, lower the flame and cook 20-30 minutes, until the lentils soften.