1/2 Photos of America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy
9 hrs 15 mins
This recipe is from the America's Test Kitchen slow cooker episode. I'm not a fan of slow cookers, but this Beef Burgundy is soooo delicious and full of rich flavors you would never guess that it was made in a slow cooker, definitely a keeper!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 4 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups pinot noir wine
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 8 ounces white pearl onions
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 1In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate and refrigerate. Pour half of bacon fat into small bowl; set skillet with remaining bacon fat aside.
- 2Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper; place half of beef (uncooked) into the slow cooker.
- 3Heat skillet containing remaining bacon fat over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook remaining beef in single layer until deep brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer browned beef into slow cooker.
- 4Add reserved bacon fat to now empty skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chopped onion, carrots and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and stir until beginning to brown, about 45 seconds. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- 5Return now empty skillet to high heat and add 1 1/2 cups wine, chicken broth and soy sauce. Simmer, scraping up brown bits, until pan bottom is clean, about 1 minute. Transfer wine mixture to slow cooker.
- 6Stir bay leaves and tapioca into slow cooker. Set slow cooker on low, cover and cook until meat is fork-tender, about 9 hours.
- 7In a skillet mix 1 tbs butter, 1 tbs sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 cup of water place frozen pearl onions in the skillet, cover and let it cook on medium heat for 5-10 mins until the onions begin to caramelize, add mushrooms and 1/4 tsp salt cook another 3-5 minuets thoroughly caramelizing the mushrooms and pearl onions. Transfer the pearl onion/mushroom mixture into the slow cooker and cook for another 30 minuets.
- 8When ready to serve, discard bay leaves and stir in reserved bacon(personally I served the bacon on the side seeing as the hubbs isn't crazy about pieces of bacon in his Beef Burgundy). In large skillet, bring remaining 1 cup wine to boil over high heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir reduced wine and parsley into stew and adjust seasonings. Serve with buttered egg noodles, YUM!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1044.0
- Calories from Fat 624
- Total Fat 69.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 234.3 mg
- Sodium 1533.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 62.7 g