1 hr 15 mins
These are delicious! Recipe courtesy of The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book. You can use old-fashioned rolled oats, but the bars will be more chewy. Make sure you cool the crust before you add the filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Crust and Topping
- 236.59 ml quick-cooking oats
- 236.59 ml light brown sugar, packed
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 118.32 ml unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1For the crust and topping: Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with a foil sling and grease the foil.
- 2Whisk the oats, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- 3Stir in the melted butter until combined.
- 4Reserve 3/4 cup of the oat mixture for the topping.
- 5Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer with the bottom of a measuring cup.
- 6Bake the crust until light golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- 7Let the crust cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour.
- 8For the filling: Whisk the flour, sugar, instant espresso, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- 9Melt the chocolate chips and butter together in a microwave, stirring often, 1 to 3 minutes.
- 10Transfer the chocolate mixture to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- 11Whisk in the egg until combined.
- 12Stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- 13Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- 14Spread the filling evenly over the cooled crust and smooth the top.
- 15Sprinkle with the reserved oat topping.
- 16Bake the bars until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached and the filling begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- 17Let the bars cool completely in the pan, set on a wire rack, about 2 hours.
- 18Remove the bars from the pan using the foil, cut into squares, and serve.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for America's Test Kitchen Oatmeal Fudge Bars
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.9
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.7 mg
- Sodium 92.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 2.6 g