Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is a keeper--one I will make again. It was so good I wanted to eat long after I was full. Definitely the best breakfast burrito I've ever had. Recipe courtesy of The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. Feel free to substitute andouille, kielbasa, or hot Italian sausage for the chorizo sausage.
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, chopped medium
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, and chopped medium)
- 1 jalapeno chile (stemmed, seeded, and minced)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 6 flour tortillas (8 to 9 inch)
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 cup salsa (jarred or fresh)
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the chorizo and cook until lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and continue to cook until they have softened and are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chorizo mixture to a medium bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe the skillet clean and return to the heat.
- Melt the butter in the skillet, swirling to coat the pan.
- Add the eggs and cook while gently pushing, lifting, and folding them from one side of the pan to the other until they are nicely clumped, shiny, and wet (about 2 minutes).
- Quickly fold in the cheddar and scallions, then remove the mixture from the pan.
- Fold in the chorizo mixture.
- Place each tortilla between sheets of paper towels and microwave on high until the tortillas are hot and steaming (30 to 60 seconds).
- Distribute the eggs evenly among the tortillas and roll into burritos.
- Slice the burritos in half and serve, passing the sour cream and salsa separately.