1/1 Photo of America's Greatest Gourmet Burgers
Curtis Stones' take on the American classic, taken from Episode 161: Ava's Menu, from his popular TV Show. I was watching the show and it looked so good that we decided to make it ourselves. Well, it was delicious! Took a little poetic license with it, though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE BOIS BOUDRAN SAUCE
- 14.79 ml sherry wine vinegar
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 118.29 ml ketchup (we used Heinz)
- 9.85 ml finely chopped fresh chives
- 9.85 ml finely chopped fresh tarragon
FOR THE BURGERS
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2-3 shallots, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 566.99 g freshly ground beef chuck (preferably prime grade)
- 29.58 ml finely chopped Italian parsley
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 8 slice bacon
- 4 slice gruyere cheese
- 4 slice frozen foie gras (we didn't use)
- 1 small black truffle (didn't use, way too pricey)
- 4 brioche hamburger buns, split in half
- 1TO MAKE THE BOUDRAN SAUCE:.
- 2Place the vinegar in a large bowl. Gradually add the oil, whisking constantly, until blended.
- 3Whisk in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk in the ketchup, chives and tarragon. Set aside.
- 4TO PREPARE THE BURGERS:.
- 5Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy nonstick small.
- 6sauté pan over medium heat. Add shallots.
- 7Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent.Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 8Gently mix the ground beef, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes(if using), shallots and garlic in large bowl until well blended. Mix in egg. (Don't overwork it - it will become too dense!).
- 9Divide the beef mixture into 4 equal mounds and shape each into a 4" diameter patty. Set the patties aside.
- 10Lay the bacon slices in a heavy nonstick large frying pan and cook over medium heat about 8-10 minutes or until crisp and golden. (Can also use the microwave method).
- 11Remove from heat and set aside; allow to rest for 1 minute. Transfer to paper towels and break the bacon slices in half.
- 12Lightly toast the brioche buns cut side up for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 13Meanwhile, heat a heavy large nonstick griddle pan or heavy large sauté pan over medium heat.
- 14Drizzle the pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook the patties 2-3 minutes or until brown on the bottom.
- 15Turn the patties over. Top the patties with Gruyère cheese and cook about 3 minutes longer or until the patties are cooked to medium-rare doneness.
- 16Set the patties on the bun bottoms. Place the crispy bacon on top of the patties.
- 17Heat a heavy large nonstick sauté pan over high heat until it begins to smoke.
- 18Add the foie gras (if using) and cook for 25 seconds on each side until the foie gras is cooked on the outside but still soft in the center (you will need the fan on full force for foie gras it will release a lot of fat that will begin to smoke - next to health reasons - another reason we did not cook - all the smoke alarms!).
- 19Place the foie gras on top of the bacon on the patties.
- 20Shave the truffle(if using, we didn't, price.
- 21too exorbitant, and we dislike them)very thinly over the foie gras (you may not need the entire truffle - Curtis used summer truffles, said they are cheaper).
- 22Serve a little drizzle of the Boudran sauce on top of burgers and then cover with the bun tops.
- 23We served it with Boudran sauce, sautéed mushrooms, oven fries, mixed greens salad and a dessert of fresh fruit.
- 24We made a fancy burger into a classy meal!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for America's Greatest Gourmet Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1022.5
- Calories from Fat 698
- Total Fat 77.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.5 g
- Cholesterol 212.3 mg
- Sodium 1532.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 46.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar