These are so great to eat! Very fluffy and inexpensive. I make the whole batch and freeze them 3-4 to a small sandwich baggie. Then in the morning I pop them in the micro (I know I shouldn't do it in the bag but I am lazy...) for about 1 minute. Then I either top with applesauce or pour homemade fruit syrup on top for a quick nutritious breakfast!
- Whisk milk and lemon juice in a medium bowl and set aside to let thicken.
- Whisk the egg and cooled melted butter into the milk mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together - flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Create a little "well" in the center of dry ingredient bowl and pour the milky mixture in the center.
- Whisk gently until just combined, there should still be lumps. Stirring too much makes the cakes tough, you want them light and airy!
- Heat a pan, griddle or waffle maker to medium heat and coat with butter or vegetable oil.
- For Pancakes: Pour pancake mixture by 1/4 cups and heat until large bubbles come to the top (about 1-2 minutes).
- Flip the pancake and wait another 1-2 minutes.
- For Waffles: Experiment with your waffle maker settings- you want a soft brown exterior with a lightly done interior- don't overcook!