Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
After an intesive search for Shepherd's Pie, I finally had to make my own and it was yummy, so I thought I would share. It is a perfect comfort food for cold weather.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered (or 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add potatoes to pot with enough salted water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Drain potatoes and add back to warm pan.
- Mash potatoes, butter and milk, whip until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Cook onion over med-high heat in oil for about 5 minutes, add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain beef.
- Add worcestershire and ketchup.
- Blend stock and flour until smooth, then add to mixture along with spices and stir.
- Add soup and vegetables and stir.
- Let mixture simmer on low for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spray a casserole dish (9 qt or more) with cooking spray and add mixture, then spread potatoes over top evenly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
We loved this recipe. The "gravy" seems to be the hardest thing to get right in these types of recipes, and this sounded close to what I have been searching for. The only thing I did different was use Cream of Potato Soup instead of mushroom, and half the thyme. Thanks for posting.
This was awesome! I used and extra clove of garlic,almost the whole can of beef broth,and i replaced gr.beans for the mixed vegetables. Ty so much for this fantastic recipe. Patti