Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Rajasthani speciality dal - kind of like a lentil stew.
american drop dumplings (in place of baati)
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cream of wheat (Rawa or semolina or sooji)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder, 4 tsp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup green gram dal (green moong)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow channa dal (Bengal gram)
- 1 -2 tablespoon ghee or 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon haldi powder, and
- 1 pinch haldi powder, powder (turmeric, set aside)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dhania patta, pwdr (coriander)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- 1⁄2 inch piece gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dhania seeds (coriander)
- 4 cups water
- BAATI (AMERICAN DROP DUMPLINGS).
- Mix flour, sooji, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add milk and stir to make a soft dough. Add more milk or flour, depending on if dough is too thin or too stiff.
- Wash both dals together. Add 2 cups water, a pinch of turmeric and cook dal in pressure cooker 1 whistle and low heat for about 15 min;let pressure release naturally.
- Mix 1/2 tbs Garam masala, 1 tsp Red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp Haldi (turmeric) powder, 1/4 tsp Dhania pwdr(coriander)in 1/2 cup water to make thin paste. Put ghee in a pan and heat.
- Splutter 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, & 1/4 tsp coriander seeds. Add ginger and the paste of spice powders. Fry for a minute, then mix it into the dal. Add 2 cups of water, salt and stir well. Drop dumpling dough into dal and simmer for 15 minutes without removing cover. Add lemon juice. Garnish with chopped coriander & serve.