Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
the slightest hint of orange makes this the BEST rice pudding, very elegant Comfort Food
- 4 cups milk, scalded
- 1 large orange
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Scald milk in a bowl sitting over a pot of very hot, not boiling, water.
- Pare the orange like an apple, going round and round so that the peel is in one long spiral.
- Add the orange peel, rice, sugar and salt to the scalded milk.
- Cook, covered, over the hot water OR over a low flame until the rice is tender - usually 20-30 minutes.
- Stir with a wooden spoon occasionally during the first part of the cooking.
- Remove the peel.
- Combine cream and egg yolks well.
- Whisk a spoonful of the hot milk mixture into the yolks.
- Then add a little more, being careful to go slowly so you don't cook the yolks.
- When you have a cup of the cream and yolk mixture successfully added to the hot milk mixture, add this all to the hot milk, whisking constantly --
- Continue cooking, covered, about 20 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour pudding into cups and serve.
- You can chill these also, if desired.
- [scalding milk can seem intimidating - you can just heat the milk to JUST boiling and then cheat by adding cornstarch dissolved in cold water to make a runny paste, in small amounts until the milk is thickened to where you would like it to be - depending if you'd like this to be soupy or quite firm as a pudding.
- do NOT be afraid to experiment.