Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
American-Style Onion Rings
- Sift the flour, Cajun seasoning, and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yolks and oil. Slowly whisk in the milk to make a smooth batter. Chill in the fridge, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Slice the onions into rings about 1.5cm in diameter. Separate the rings and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 180c, or you can use a large saucepan and fill it 1/3 with oil. Heat until a small piece of bread dropped in the oil turns golden brown in 60 seconds.
- Whisk the egg white until forms stiff peaks and then gently fold it into the batter.
- Dip the rings into the batter, a few at a time to coat them completely, then carefully fry in the oil in batches, for 3-4 minutes each, turning them over halfway through, until golden brown. It's important to only cook a few at a time, because if you overcrowd the pan, they won't cook properly.
- Lift out with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate topped with three sheets of kitchen paper - this will soak up any excess fat. Keep warm while you continue to cook the rest of the rings in the same way. Serve with tomato ketchup.