Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
As an American living in England, I really missed real American-style baked beans. The kind you get here are in a plain tomato-based sauce, with no sweetness at all. This was my answer, after a bit of tweaking.
- 2 (415 g) cansbritish baked beans (Heinz or similar)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon molasses (treacle)
- 1 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 slices streaky bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all ingredients in a baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occassionally to stop the top from caramelising too much.
Thank you for posting this I will try this out as soon as I can and post a rating. I have been trying to get a US taste in our beans for ages.